Posts Tagged ‘Interviews’
Recently I red a blog post from Julia Evans about what kind of questions she use to ask when attending to a job interview. I found this list quite interesting (for both the interviewer and the interviewee) since it’s categorized, balanced and smart!
- Do you use version control? (if not, the interview should be over =))
- Do you test your code?
- How do you make sure that all code is understood by more than one person?
- Do you do code review? Does all code get reviewed?
- Do you have an issue tracker?
- Describe your deployment process – how do you find bugs in your team’s code? What recourse do you have when you find a serious bug in production code?
- Who is responsible for doing deployment? How often do you deploy?
- How do you think about code correctness?
- When something goes wrong, how do you handle it? Do devs get shamed for breaking the build?
- How/when do developers talk to non-developers? Is it easy to talk to the people who are will be using your product?
- Can I see some code the team I’m interviewing for has written? (from an open-source project you work on, for example)
- Who are the people at your company with a lot of depth of experience? Will I be able to talk to them?
- What’s your approach to technical debt?
- How does engineering work get assigned?
- How are technical decisions made and communicated?
- How do you balance support work and feature development?
- Can you give me an example of someone who’s been in a technical role at your company for a long time, and how their responsibilities and role have changed? (I love this question)
- Do you have a dedicated designer? QA? Technical writer? Dev manager?
- How often do you have meetings? Are there any scheduled/standing meetings? Who talks to customers (if appropriate) and how?
- Has there been a situation where someone raised an ethical concern? If so, how was it handled? If not, have there really not been any?
- How are decisions made? Is architecture dictated top down? Are ideas from anyone welcomed? If so, in what scope/context?
- How are disagreements solved – both technical disagreements and other kinds? What happens when personalities clash?
- Can you tell me about a time when you’ve had to let someone go?
- Is there a written roadmap all developers can see? How far into the future does it extend? How closely is it followed?
- How is performance evaluated?
Quality of life
- How much vacation do people get? If there’s “unlimited” vacation, how much vacation do people normally take?
- Is it possible to take sabbaticals or unpaid vacation?
- How many women work for you? What’s your process for making sure you have diversity in other ways?
- How many hours do people work in an average week? In your busiest weeks?
- Is variability tolerated or is everyone expected to be on the same schedule?
- What time do people normally leave work?
- Would I need to be on call? How often?
- How often are there emergencies or times when people have to work extra hours?
- What is your turnover rate like? How many devs were hired last year and how many left?
- What’s your retention rate of women over 1.5 years? Do you think you could’ve done anything differently to keep people who left?
- Do people work on the weekend?
- Do people check in when they’re on vacation? How often?
- Is it possible to work from home, say, 1 or 2 days a week? Does anyone do this? (can be a nice option to have)
As many of these as possible are “statistical” questions – a company may say that they “don’t have hours”, but if everyone leaves at 9pm that’s not a good sign.
- How do you determine if someone is a poor fit for your company?
- How are your teams structured? What is the management structure like?
- How often do you pair? What’s pairing like? How often do inexperienced people work directly with experienced people?
- What’s the onboarding process like?
- Is there any sort of institutionalized way of dealing with plateauing or preventing burnout? (Expecting to hear about rotation of duties or location, sabbaticals.)
- Is it easy to move to other divisions or offices?
- How does internal communication work? This one is super important and I need to remember to ask it more.
- Are there catered suppers? (possibly bad)
- How many hours a week does senior management work? Do they put in 80-hour weeks?
PS: if you have time, take a look at Julia’s blog, for me it has been quite inspiring